Monday, October 6, 2008

How To Write a Case Summary For a Sexual Harassment Lawsuit

When you are being sexually harassed on the job, it is important to know your rights. Sexual harassment falls under employment law, thus you will need to find employment law lawyer who specializes in sexual harassment cases. One you have found an attorney and signed an agreement, your attorney will most likely ask you to write a short summary of what happened on the job, who was the perpetrator of sexual harassment and how exactly you were sexually harassed with concrete instances of sexual harassment and preferably dates. This will help your attorney to start your case.

To write a summary of your sexual harassment incidents on the job can be a difficult task. Admitting the embarrassing facts of sexual harassment can be very humiliating. However, this must be done in order to start your sexual harassment case. Here is a sample letter you can send your attorney summarizing the facts.

I started working at my company (company name) with offices at (address, city, state) on or about (date)

About two – three months later (I will be able to give you the exact date in the next day or two) my boss, (name) called me in his office when he was there alone and asked me about some phone call to his business that I received earlier that day. He scolded me for giving the caller my name and then told me “Take your shirt off!” I was stunned. I didn’t respond for a minute because I could not believe what I just heard. Then I said “What?” He repeated his request. He looked serious, as if he wasn’t joking. I didn’t say anything and didn’t do anything. I felt extremely uncomfortable and nervous. After a couple of minutes of silence he said “See how I caught you off guard. That’s what those people do when they try to get information from you. You should not give out information over the telephone to people you don’t know.”

Sometime later, my boss began making comments of a sexual nature and it occurred more often over time. He asked me whether I was wearing a bra on numerous occasions. When he found out about my problems with my son’s dad, he frequently told me that I “needed a hug” and embraced me against my will while rubbing my back. One time he was showing me a document while sitting next to me and suddenly started rubbing my back. I moved away from his touch, but he followed with his hand continuing to touch me. This physical contact made me feel very uncomfortable and nervous.

On several occasions my boss asked me if I wanted to “get close” to him. When I asked him what he meant, he told me that was just what he said. He said that in order for an Executive Assistant to be proficient in the job, I had to sleep with him. He stated that an Executive Assistant should be “like a wife” and when people sleep together, they think the same way. He told me that an assistant he had at his previous company for seven years occasionally had sex with him, that his wife was unaware of. He supported his assertions by describing a time that some acquaintance of his, whom he saw at some sporting event was making out with his secretary.

A couple of months ago, I was going to leave for the day when he called me into his office and asked me if I had any plans for the evening. I said that I had plans with my daughter. Then he said “I was going to ask you if you wanted to get naked with me.” He seemed serious and didn’t speak in a “joking type” manner I told him that my plans involved my daughter and that I had to go home. He said ok.

Another time my boss and two other executives of the company were in his office when he called me in and asked me to take some papers from his office. When I was leaving his office I said something of business nature and he responded that my skirt wasn’t short enough. I saw that another executive overheard the comment, but he didn’t say anything and just gave my boss a funny look.

On other day my boss was planning a trip to Las Vegas with two other people. He called me into his office and said that they were going to stay at a hotel on the strip and that if I wanted to go to Las Vegas with him, he would give me money to gamble while there, but no one would have to know that I was there. He told me that he would get me a separate room at the hotel and come have sex with me when no one was around. I said there was no way I would do it. Then my boss said in that case I would not be taking the trip to Las Vegas.

Another time (I will try to get the date) he took me out to lunch at a restaurant and told me again that it was important to sleep with him for the benefit of our professional relationship. He tried to convince me that if I was not going to sleep with him, we would never be able to establish the bond necessary to work together in the business.

On or about November (I will get the dates) the company was preparing to issue second round of stock, I asked my boss if the employees were going to get additional stock in that round. My boss told me that it depended on how I acted. He said that assistants who sleep with their bosses often get bonuses, raises and stock, and that those are the assistants that do well financially.

Every time my boss made sexually provocative comments to me, I always tried to change the
subject because his comments made me feel uncomfortable, nervous and embarrassed. His comments also made me feel intimidated and humiliated, but I wanted to keep my job, so I did not confront him about the inappropriate nature of the comments. Often times I told him that he was married and he should not say things like that, to which he responded “So what? My wife wouldn’t find out.”

This is a short synopsis in which you can summarize the instances of a sexual harassment case.

No comments:

Post a Comment